Thursday 20 March 2014

Campus sessions

Due to the fact I can't physically get to the campus sessions I have been reading up on Paula's blog for old ones so I can keep in the loop and on top of my work. 

The first three which I have followed have been a great help. Paula has produced slide shares which I was able to download and follow offline. They are all full of vast amounts of information which has proved very useful. Due to module three being such a project it was a great help to realise it's not as big of a monster as you make out it to be in your head. 

Campus session 1

Before delving into the inquiry Paula asks us what we think a professional inquiry is?

In my opinion it's a journey in which we produce a piece of work by using many resources and tools which we can be proud of, it also sets us up with skills in which we can take onto other aspects of outright life's and professional careers. also within the context of the course it's something to help us within our professional practice too. 

Paula's own definition highlighted the importance of learning, developing, evolving, problem solving, reflecting and progressing through a process. These factors sum up my journey all the way from module one! 

In the first campus session Paula reminds us that we must not stress! It's important to identify milestones and decide on our actions in order to remain stress free and focused. A very important point I feel, I often find myself stressing but once I have sorted out the tasks in hand and figure out how to complete them it all seems less daunting. 

During the campus there is a lot of talking about the analysis of both literature and data, both are important as they form the basis of the inquiry. Paula mentions Theory's that we have previously touched upon in readers through out the course! I myself have been reading Blaxter and Hughes 'How to Research' (4th edition) I have found the methodologies mentioned in their book very helpful and we be applying some of them to my own Inquiry.

Through out the campus session there are tasks set out for pairs to discuss their work. I carried out these tasks with some of my professional peers with whom I work with. All the tasks were very helpful and informative. 

Campus session two 

This session focuses more on the structure of the professional inquiry and the importance that the literature we gather holds.

The literature not only expands our knowledge and understanding around the subject ares it also gives the inquiry validity and a reference in which you can use when analysing your findings.

Paula gives us a few tips - 

shape the writing In according to your needs to explain what you are doing.
Develop writing that's more efficient with fewer words.
Read aloud, be clear at stating your point of view.

In short be meaningful and concise 

It was pointed out how important the introduction can be, also what it should entail.
The best piece of advice I took from this was that it's important to define the vocabulary and terms used throughout the inquiry. Many words often evoke different meanings, making it important to iron out exactly what you mean for your readers, as it's vital they understand exactly what you are trying to say. 

Paula explains analysis by showing a triangle of data, below are my notes on the triangle. This visual aid helps me link all the data together.



The session also highlights other aspect that you gain from analysing data but don't immediately think of, for example did any further inquiry topics arise or did you conduct or plan any activities/events/interventions that used what you found out from the inquiry .

Campus session three

During this session there is talk about how data can be gathered an displayed, ethics, reporting certain understandings in order to draw conclusions more or analysis and the critical reflection. 

The most important things I took from these slide shares were the guidelines on analysing interviews and how to manage the data for both interviews and focus groups as these both play a big part of my inquiry. 

Three of the main points I picked up on were,

1. A good way to catogerize complex data gathered from interviews is to look at themes that are emerging.

2. It's vital to organise that data in an organised way so that comparisons, contrasts and evaluations can be made.

3. The main aim is finding the meanings of the evidence presented. 

In regards to managing data Paula mentions a very valid point, it's important to keep all tapes and transcribed data not only in a safe place but to keep it until the end of the process just Incase the university need to check up on it. 

To conclude the third campus session the critical reflection is touched upon.

It is of the upmost importance as it serves the purpose of showing your learning journel to the academics. This course is designed so we can undertake it while working professionally, and an important part for the university is that we show we have learnt equally as much undertaking this course than we would have done being sat in the university for four years. 

The critical reflection is a self analysis of our learning through out the process. It is an opportunity to explain how and if we have acquired new knowledge and understanding on several topics, our selfs, our jobs, our workplace, our communities of practice. 

We are able to air our own views and opinions on how we have evolved as both a person and a professional from module one to the present day. More over the effect this course has had on our future and how our professional practice has been affected.

Conclusion 

Obviously there is a lot more to the campus's sessions that what I have summarised but I took what I believed to be the most important segments to share with you. 

I look forward to downloading sessions 4 and 5 when I get my next good serge of wifi! 

No comments:

Post a Comment